I really feel like this recipe doesn’t even need a description or back-story; it kind of speaks for itself. These sandwiches are a-ma-zing! Realistically, they probably aren’t much healthier than a regular bread-based grilled cheese, but if you’re looking for creative solutions to use up zucchini and you love grilled cheese (Who doesn’t love grilled cheese!?) then this recipe is for you.
Tony helped with making these since he was so excited to try it. We ended up making about 4 small (fist-sized) sandwiches with the recipe’s serving size, so for more than two people I would definitely double to recipe. My only final thoughts: easy and deliciously cheesy! Try it!
2 c. grated zucchini
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 c. cornstarch
salt and pepper, to taste
Vegetable oil, for cooking
2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese (We used Sharp Cheddar – highly recommended!)
1. After rinsing zucchini, chop into large pieces, and shred using a food processor. Place shredded zucchini on a clean kitchen/tea towel and squeeze out excess water by ringing the towel.
2. In a large bowl, combine zucchini, egg, Parmesan, green onions, and cornstarch. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Cover the base of a large skillet with vegetable oil and heat. Scoop about 1/4 c. of the mixture and place it on one side of the pan. Do again on the other side. Smooth out the two scoops so they form flat patties.
4. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4-6 minutes each. Remove the patties from pan and place them on a paper towel-covered plate to drain the oil. Repeat with remaining mixture.
5. Once done, turn off the heat and wipe the bottom of the pan clear.
6. Place two patties back into the pan. Top both with a handful of shredded Cheddar cheese and place another patty on top of each. Cook until heated-through and the cheese has completely melted (flipping as needed). Repeat with remaining patties. Serve warm!