With peak blueberry season upon us I can’t help but start to day-dream about this Blueberry Velvet Cake I made one time back in college. Yes, you read right. I’ve only ever made this cake one time, but that’s all it took to fall madly in love with it. It combines two of my all-time favorite things: farm-fresh blueberries and cake!
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
3 c. flour
1 T. cocoa powder
1 T. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. whole milk/buttermilk
blue food coloring
Blueberries, farm-fresh & local
Cream cheese frosting
Blueberries (for decorating)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two (2) 9″ round cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
3. In another large bowl, beat the butter while slowly adding the sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth. Add vanilla extract, milk, and blue food coloring (to whatever shade of blue you like).
4. Slowly combine the dry and wet mixtures. Gently fold in blueberries (again, however many you like – I went pretty heave and probably used about a pint).
5. Pour mix into cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until done. Cool completely before frosting. (You can cheat a little and just use a pre-made cream cheese frosting – which is what I did – or you can make your own.) Don’t forget to decorate with blueberries! Enjoy!